I had a dream rich in symbolism and I'd like to know what you all think it means

NightJack

Hello DreamForum members,

I would like to share with you a dream I had a couple weeks ago that has really stuck with me. It felt like something was trying to be communicated to my conscious and I'd like to know how you would interpret this. I've done a lot of reading up on the various symbols present, but some are not available at all while others are very contextually dependant and I'm new at interpreting dreams.

This is the dream I had:

I'm on a beautiful beach with my wife and young son. The water is calm and I decide to go wade in the surf. I take a few steps into the water and everything changes. At first I thought the water was drawing back for a very large wave to crash on me. Where I had been in knee deep water, I am suddenly standing on wet sand with barely my feet covered. A large wave formed, about twice my height, then stopped. then I realised that there was still water between the beach and myself, though not deep. The waters had parted leaving a long path parallel to the shoreline I could walk along. The wall of water had a smooth surface and I could see into the deep. I knew there was a danger inside though I did not know quite what.

I then heard a few dolphins clicking and chirping. One of the dolphins pushed a large dead alligator out of the water and onto the shore. On the back of the alligator there was a human skeleton sitting like it had been riding the alligator. It began to animate with some jerky dancing movements.

I turned my attention back to the wall of water and could see a very large and colorful tropical fish swimming near the edge of the water wall and seemed to be looking at me. It swam away and I turned again towards the beach.

Between myself and the shallow water bordering the parted area I was in there were a series of cascading bowls made of sand stacked like some kind of fountain and out of the top bowls of each stack water was sprouting out and seemed to stop in mid air at the highest point and dance around before falling back down into the bowls. A row of 5 to 10 of these fountains were spurting in sync with each other and they seemed to be dancing together. Intrigued by the bowls, I grasped at one wondering if it was solid. It was made of wet sand and came apart in my hand, but fixed itself just as quickly as I drew my hand away.

This is about the point where I awoke. The dream has stuck with me since.

I sometimes have very vivid dreams like this one and when I do, I take note of them. It wasn't like a normal dream. This felt very real and was very vivid. I felt as if something was trying to be conveyed to my conscious, but I can't piece it all together. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Dean

Hi NightJack

That's a very rich dream indeed! :)

I might have a few helpful comments to make on a number of the symbols in that dream. Please let me know if you are still around and I'll make sure to comment soon.

Regards

Dean

NightJack

Hi NightJack

That's a very rich dream indeed! :)

I might have a few helpful comments to make on a number of the symbols in that dream. Please let me know if you are still around and I'll make sure to comment soon.

Regards

Dean
Hey Dean,

Yeah, I been checking back every few days hoping someone had some insight. I can't get this dream out of my head and its been 2 months. Anything you would have to say would be appreciated. Thanks man.

NightJack

NightJack

Hi Andrew,

Yes, there were some life events leading up to the dream, I think they may be related but I do not wish to color the replies. I should be able to mesh the two on my own after responses.

NightJack

Dean

Hi NightJack

The first thing to say is that there are a number of really powerful symbols embedded within your dream. Just one of these would be enough to know this is a really important dream. So with so many, I really feel there's some really important work for you do to discover why this dream was given to you!

Just before I get into some detail, I will mention that I work with dreams from a Jungian/Depth Psychology perspective which uses a very different lens when working with the unconscious (the aspect within you that created this dream). In Jungian Psychology, we don't do dream interpretations without having a level of understanding about the individual who has experienced this dream. This is because dream symbols are often highly infused with the individual's psyche and this includes what the dreamer has experienced in their own life. So for example, the symbolism of a cat is a powerful dream symbol but it can have a range of meanings based on the dreamer including things like the gender of the dreamer, their religious/spiritual attitude etc..

In saying that though, there are some very significant historical themes for a number of the symbols which appear in your dream. I'll mention a few of these and see if you connect with any of them..

Firstly, the theme of being overwhelmed by a large wave is very common - I have had a number of variations given to me in my own dreams. Generally speaking, the ocean represents the unconscious, the much larger part of the psyche in which the conscious ego is like an island.. Being overwhelmed by a wave can mean different things - if people are not coping in their lives given all the pressures the modern world can present, often an individual will have a dream involving being vulnerable to a large wave(s). But it can also mean that there is a lot of activity going on underneath the dreamers waking ego. In this case, it may mean a rich period of growth or change is coming. In your dream where the wave was essentially 'held back' from breaking on you, I feel this is a positive message. Broadly speaking, I believe there is a lot going on within you right now, but you are being given some time to take a breath and perhaps contemplate your current life situation or consolidate things before a significant shift takes place.

Dolphins have a long history in mythology and dream symbolism.. Again, broadly speaking, dolphins often symbolise the coming of a new period of growth. In Greek mythology they have connections to being announcers of a new child, which, from a Jungian perspective is 'a new child/new life' coming from within the psyche.

Supporting the dolphin symbolism are the fountains that were in your dream.... Fountains, rivers, streams are often really powerful dream symbols and often indicate that there is/or soon will be a pouring 'into' your consciousness of deep, new unconscious (life) material. This can include new inspirations, guidance or events that create required changes in your life.

I will leave it there for now. I would be surprised if someone who had such a potent dream as this, was not religious or spiritual - or at least very curious and was considering exploring a religious or spiritual path. If you are not spiritual/religious in any way, then I really do see this as an invitation from your deeper self to explore.

I hope at least some of this resonates with you - all the very best with the journey ahead....

Dean

Last edited:
Hello DreamForum members,

I would like to share with you a dream I had a couple weeks ago that has really stuck with me. It felt like something was trying to be communicated to my conscious and I'd like to know how you would interpret this. I've done a lot of reading up on the various symbols present, but some are not available at all while others are very contextually dependant and I'm new at interpreting dreams.

This is the dream I had:

I'm on a beautiful beach with my wife and young son. The water is calm and I decide to go wade in the surf. I take a few steps into the water and everything changes. At first I thought the water was drawing back for a very large wave to crash on me. Where I had been in knee deep water, I am suddenly standing on wet sand with barely my feet covered. A large wave formed, about twice my height, then stopped. then I realised that there was still water between the beach and myself, though not deep. The waters had parted leaving a long path parallel to the shoreline I could walk along. The wall of water had a smooth surface and I could see into the deep. I knew there was a danger inside though I did not know quite what.

I then heard a few dolphins clicking and chirping. One of the dolphins pushed a large dead alligator out of the water and onto the shore. On the back of the alligator there was a human skeleton sitting like it had been riding the alligator. It began to animate with some jerky dancing movements.

I turned my attention back to the wall of water and could see a very large and colorful tropical fish swimming near the edge of the water wall and seemed to be looking at me. It swam away and I turned again towards the beach.

Between myself and the shallow water bordering the parted area I was in there were a series of cascading bowls made of sand stacked like some kind of fountain and out of the top bowls of each stack water was sprouting out and seemed to stop in mid air at the highest point and dance around before falling back down into the bowls. A row of 5 to 10 of these fountains were spurting in sync with each other and they seemed to be dancing together. Intrigued by the bowls, I grasped at one wondering if it was solid. It was made of wet sand and came apart in my hand, but fixed itself just as quickly as I drew my hand away.

This is about the point where I awoke. The dream has stuck with me since.

I sometimes have very vivid dreams like this one and when I do, I take note of them. It wasn't like a normal dream. This felt very real and was very vivid. I felt as if something was trying to be conveyed to my conscious, but I can't piece it all together. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Well you're on the beach with your wife and your son, The ocean here is your feelings regarding your family and your approach to it. first it looks not separated and then it separates. The dolphin is your helper and the dead alligator with the skeleton rider is your fear, but as the dolphin shows you it is not dangerous anymore, so you can safely allow the wall to dissolve in you again. even if some content regarding this old fear should appear im your mind, it will not remain if you are not giving it life again. Sems to me that your ocean is rich and beautiful and there for you in a positive and gentle way. good luck

Well you're on the beach with your wife and your son, The ocean here is your feelings regarding your family and your approach to it. first it looks not separated and then it separates. The dolphin is your helper and the dead alligator with the skeleton rider is your fear, but as the dolphin shows you it is not dangerous anymore, so you can safely allow the wall to dissolve in you again. even if some content regarding this old fear should appear im your mind, it will not remain if you are not giving it life again. Sems to me that your ocean is rich and beautiful and there for you in a positive and gentle way. good luck