The labyrinth within, the evil without.

Ferver

I see an aerial view of a labyrinth of hedges, laid out orthogonally, circumscribed by a golden circle. It is as if the labyrinth is infinite, but I can only see the part within the golden circle. I'm in my childhood home. My sister and two of our friends are making a movie, and I'm on the couch watching this. It's dimly lit, and depressing, so I ask myself why I'm being useless on the couch, and I join them. The friends leave, but my sister gains some enthusiasm and we continue to make the movie. It's of a news broadcast, and quickly I begin to ask myself what I had gotten myself into because I'm not sure I really want to be in the movie, for unknown reasons. Then I go to the high school I went to as a teenager, and the gym teacher tries to get me to play some sport, then I go home. I have a friend who, in the last few years we were still friends, began scaring the people around him with bold phrases and intensity. Sometimes he would even talk nonsense, and we would fear for our safety. In the dream he visits my childhood home every day and plays video games by himself in the basement. I'm bothered by this, but I resign myself to the idea that I have to accept him as part of my life. I notice I'm wearing my work apron, and it has pizza sauce on it. I want to go downstairs to get to the garage, but for some reason go between the railing posts. I'm fat now, so three wooden posts pop out of place. I make it into the garage, where there is a man. He asks me if I took care of the villain who killed his sister while I was at school. I said that I didn't find him there. I notice my belt is undone, so I reach behind my back to grab it. The man asks if the gym teacher didn't give me a belt. "No, here it is." I pull the white belt, which also had pizza sauce on it around my waist and secure it. I see a close up of the man's face. He gets a big closed-mouth grin on his face that could whiten your hair as it stands on end, and he begins to walk toward me. I wake up.

Last edited:

Ferver

Shortly before having this dream, I learned what it meant to walk the labyrinth in Chartres cathedral. The idea is that you walk the labyrinth and you traverse every corner of the world before coming to the center, and you do this because you can't become whole and fully who you could be unless you go everywhere you have to go in life. That includes the dark places. The labyrinth in the dream is infinite, but the golden circle seems to be a way to focus on what could be the center, or to search for it. But the labyrinth within the circle was kind of random, it didn't appear to be the true center, so I think this suggests a combination of confusion and conscious seeking. The circle is golden, which is associated with consciousness. The rest of the dream has to do with my past, my school, my sister and friends, and then the only thing that is current: My work. In my life I have a new job, and I'm having trouble making friends. What's more, I sometimes think my coworkers are talking about me negatively. I'm sure I'm just paranoid, but it brings up the darker side of life. That's where I'm at with this dream. I have to face evil once again. I haven't traversed the territory in regard to old friends and my new work environment. In the recent past I have dealt with the potential of evil in my relationship with my parents, and have since become less naive, but I'm not cynical either, I've moved past that into a genuine respect for myself and others, and a tentative courage to be genuinely trusting where appropriate. The belt I was wearing was white, the beginner belt in martial arts. I think this means I am just a novice when it comes to understanding evil. I've just ordered the autobiography of carl panzram, someone who was deeply resentful and evil. I need to know how dark people think. I also ordered the famous book "How to win friends and influence people," in an attempt to learn the skills to get along at work, but I think the dream is telling me the first book is more important.

Last edited:
Consider that you don't have to pursue knowledge about evil. Life will you all the lessons you need, in all areas. There are various ways to look at what we call evil. Buddhists for example speak of ignorance, not evil. St. Augustine in the Catholic tradition speaks of evil as the absence of good. A sort of a void or vacuum. Consider how the good in your life has been an antidote for what you feel is evil. Consider how good can continue to flow in your life.
Your being threatened by a man in your dream may indicate that something is threatening you in waking life. Something that must be dealt with. "The sister" could be a shadow figure for you, and indicates that you have suffered. However, death in dreams is usually transformation. I believe your desire to make connections will in fact be realized.