Disturbing bathroom dream …

Aabh

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting here ! I wanted to get some insight on a dream I had last night. To me, it’s very disgusting, but here it goes …

I dreamed of having to go to the bathroom to urinate - not the type of dream where it’s your body telling you to get up to do so - and in the bathroom it was dark. I see the toilet already has some poop (sorry !) in it I notice, but I flush the toilet after urinating. All of a sudden, the toilet starts to back up and then it starts shooting poop everywhere in the bathroom. It gets on the walls, floors, me … everywhere ! It even gets in my mouth because I am screaming in terror. I, of course, am panicked and grossed out even further in the dream trying to handle everything and then get it out of my mouth. I can hear my mother, who passed away 12 years ago, to open door or something like that so she can see what’s going on/help essentially. I am at this point at the bathroom sink trying to wash my mouth out. I desperately tell her I need mouthwash and then I notice there’s some next to me, but it seems also covered in poop a bit. I’m stressed. Then I wake up.

Sorry for it being so gross, but that was my dream and any insight on what it could mean would be so appreciated. Thank you !

Hey Aabh,
Thanks for the dream and don't worry - bathrooms and all that goes with them are common symbols in dreams!
So bathrooms are usually either about the physical elimination system or the need to cleanse an aspect of ourselves (e.g. an unhelpful belief).
Do you currently have any digestive issues?
The dream is also suggesting that you picked up some kind of conditioning (beliefs) from your mother and that it still affects you to this day.
The darkness symbolises that you're in the dark about the theme of the dream (digestive issues).
Do any of these ideas ring true?

Aabh

Hi oliverwedgwood, thanks so much for taking a stab at interpreting my dream ! I don’t have any digestive issues that I know of at the moment. Perhaps there is some type of conditioning from my mother, but in the dream she had such a minimal role/appearance it seemed.

This dream is confusing me quite a bit. Maybe it is totally nothing.

Okay cool, that's good you don't have any digestive issues now. So we can take it that the dream is asking you to cleanse some kind of conditioning that you received from your mother, most likely very early on in your life.
We have an emphasis on the mouth, so that suggests speaking/expression. How do you feel about expressing yourself and speaking your truth openly?

Aabh

You know, it’s funny … I feel I lost myself that I am not even sure what my truth is. I feel very stuck in life and know where I want to go, but when things don’t move or allow me to move in that direction, I doubt it so I am feeling very lost.

Gosh, yes... It can certainly be frustrating - and we all so often doubt ourselves - when we want to aim in a certain direction, but for some reason we feel blocked. (like the blocked toilet perhaps?). Was there a time or situation when you felt that things were 'flowing' for you?

Aabh

Oh yes, I’d say about 9-10 years ago right before what was a career hire for me, but ended up giving me some PTSD and triggering old wounds. I realize now that I was not in a fulfilling relationship or career. I am going through a separation as well as trying to find where I fit.

Oh - just had another couple of thoughts about your dream... You mention that the bathroom is in the dark, so that fits with your feeling that you are 'in the dark' about yourself at the moment.
Also, thinking about the poop in the mouth angle (nice!)... What is your self-talk like? The mouth wash could well be the dream supplying a healing for this aspect (dreams always provide us with guidance and/or healing, but we tend to colour the dream with our subconscious response to these offerings, which is usually negative).

twilight

Bathroom speaks of a place of cleansing or the need to eliminate things in our lives. To dream of going to the bathroom means that you are in the process of or need to let go and take care of some things. Since there was poop in the toilet, it may speak of previous attempts at doing this that were not completed, or maybe too much was done at once which prevented things from being eliminated properly (clogged toilet). The bathroom being dark speaks of the need for illumination (enlightenment/knowledge) on how to approach these matters. It seems in your attempts to eliminate (flush) things, everything sort of explodes due to a buildup of things, which goes over everything, including yourself, which may have spilled over into the way you talk (negative words/the need to speak positively in life) and makes you fearful or anxious. This may speak of life’s circumstances in the past, present, or even future if things are not properly taken care of perhaps. I’m not sure what your spiritual beliefs are (or if I can even post this in this forum), but I believe your mother symbolizes divine help (the Holy Spirit) that you need for dealing with these problems in life. Mother’s are generally seen for one who has wisdom and comforts us. The fact that she is calmly telling you to open the door signifies an invitation to open the door and let her in to help you clean up the mess or circumstances that are going on in your life.

Last edited:

Aabh

Oh - just had another couple of thoughts about your dream... You mention that the bathroom is in the dark, so that fits with your feeling that you are 'in the dark' about yourself at the moment.
Also, thinking about the poop in the mouth angle (nice!)... What is your self-talk like? The mouth wash could well be the dream supplying a healing for this aspect (dreams always provide us with guidance and/or healing, but we tend to colour the dream with our subconscious response to these offerings, which is usually negative).
My PTSD is getting less, but there are remnants. My self talk oscillates between positive and negative. I feel like I am on an emotional rollercoaster, haha

Aabh

Bathroom speaks of a place of cleansing or the need to eliminate things in our lives. To dream of going to the bathroom means that you are in the process of or need to let go and take care of some things. Since there was poop in the toilet, it may speak of previous attempts at doing this that were not completed, or maybe too much was done at once which prevented things from being eliminated properly (clogged toilet). The bathroom being dark speaks of the need for illumination (enlightenment/knowledge) on how to approach these matters. It seems in your attempts to eliminate (flush) things, everything sort of explodes due to a buildup of things, which goes over everything, including yourself, which may have spilled over into the way you talk (negative words/the need to speak positively in life) and makes you fearful or anxious. This may speak of life’s circumstances in the past, present, or even future if things are not properly taken care of perhaps. I’m not sure what your spiritual beliefs are (or if I can even post this in this forum), but I believe your mother symbolizes divine help (the Holy Spirit) that you need for dealing with these problems in life. Mother’s are generally seen for one who has wisdom and comforts us. The fact that she is calmly telling you to open the door signifies an invitation to open the door and let her in to help you clean up the mess or circumstances that are going on in your life.
Wow, great interpretation as well and makes sense. I am desperately trying to open the door to help, but doesn’t seem like help that will help is coming through. My life feels like it is in shambles.