Dream about cleaning a cluttered room

jeff

I have this re-occurring dream that I am supposed to leave a school or dorm room by a specific time but I have accumulated a large pile of junk that I am overwhelmed with.
I remember feeling the pressure or stress of not having enough time to pack this stuff, or there isn't enough room in my car to carry it all.
Most of the stuff is things I don't need anymore but I am hesitant to throw it away.

I have posted a dream about clearing a room of spiders and the interpretation of that dream that a few have suggested is the need to clear mental clutter in my subconscious.
Maybe this dream is a variation of the same thing.

Last edited:

jeff

Not particularly.
I don't have OCD but I do try to keep things presentable.
I don't think this has much to do with the mess as it does with having to do with an urgency to move it.

Well i was thinking of "messy" in the manner of someone who like to leave a mess lying around, to move it out of the way later.
What sort of junk was it that been accumulated?
As a dream that you keep having, is the setting the same each time?

jeff

The dream isn't exactly the same every time.
Sometimes I'm checking out of a room at a military housing and there is a known deadline for exiting the building.
Sometimes it is a school that teaches technical skills and when it is done you are expected to leave in a timely manor.

As far as what kind of junk ... about ten years ago, my in-laws died and my wife and I had to remove the contents of their home before the closing.
I was working overseas at the time and I was only home for a few weeks.
My wife and I had to go through a lifetime of stuff that her parents had accumulated and quickly decide what is valuable and what goes in the dumpster.
As the end of day was getting closer, more of my in-laws' stuff ended up in the dumpster than we wanted.
After we were done, we both realized that if we had more time or were a bit better organized, we could have kept some of that stuff and sold it off or donated it.
It was sad to see so much of my wife's parents stuff treated with such disregard once they were gone.

I've gone through this before.
After I got out of the Marines, I worked as a security guard for a bank.
Someone who apparently owed the bank money died so they dispatched a few guys to sort through the belongings.
The guys organized the valuable stuff to be sold at an estate auction and the rest went into a dumpster.
My job was to keep the guys from taking anything valuable for themselves.

I had a friend who I thought was a bit of a hoarder.
Every time I visited his house, I was struck by the around of stuff he had stacked throughout the house.
Stacks of papers were on the stairs, on benches and on the floor in corners.
It wasn't crazy like you see on hoarders intervention shows, but there was something like that.
He died a few years back, and I often wondered what happened to all this stuff?
I know that his wife donated some of his military stuff to a local museum.

I was left reflecting on what we leave behind when we die.
Are we reduced to a cluttered house that someone else has to determine the value?
Would this person cleaning up my clutter realize the value of the things I left behind?

Why am I holding onto this stuff ... what is its value?
1) Am I holding onto these things for sentimental reasons?
2) Is some of it actually valuable but I don't have a use for it and should sell it
3) Is some of it is just trash that is out of sight and my laziness keeps me from going through it and throwing it away?

Jessie

I have this re-occurring dream that I am supposed to leave a school or dorm room by a specific time but I have accumulated a large pile of junk that I am overwhelmed with.
I remember feeling the pressure or stress of not having enough time to pack this stuff, or there isn't enough room in my car to carry it all.
Most of the stuff is things I don't need anymore but I am hesitant to throw it away.

I have posted a dream about clearing a room of spiders and the interpretation of that dream that a few have suggested is the need to clear mental clutter in my subconscious.
Maybe this dream is a variation of the same thing.
We can’t continue on into new journeys carrying huge loads. Huge loads like burdens weigh us down. Holding grudges, having resentments, or simply just getting too attached to one season of life can all be part of what holds us down and holds us back from any new ventures. Feel free to let it all go out of yourself, forgive and be at peace, choose the few things that are most important to you and let the rest go with forgiveness and grace. Or maybe you don’t want to move on to the next level because you had way too much fun with this current one. Either way, life is full of seasons and new adventures. If the ‘stuff’ holds you back from new adventures which awaits, then make that choice to give it all away.