Encounter with a Curious Type of Galey

James

As hurricane Roslyn approached the Mexican shores and possibly turning our way in that place, I was working with a crew inspecting a number of dikes that ran along the hill sides that steered the water flows to safe places. The area was not far from a fishing village where we were from, next to a beach front. As we reached the top of the hill, I felt a surge of self-awareness and suddenly became lucid. In the distance, on the other side of the hill, I see the rooftops and houses of many small dwellings in various shades of yellow, red, brown and blue. I was surprised by how brightly colored the scenery was. I looked down at what I was wearing: a blue polo shirt, pleated brown slacks and light blue skechers shoes. I rubbed my arms and chest to enhance the imagery and kept reminding myself that this was a dream in order to prolong the experience.

I asked a fellow worker if he knew the name of the place in the distance to which I pointed. He said, “That’s Oaxaca.” I don’t know why, but I mentioned to him that I would like to go there. He replied, “I can show you where there is a bus-stop.” The crew of five workers I was with all decided to see me off and offered some advice. They said, "There were a lot of thugs in that direction," and advised me to always keep my guard up. "If they see that you are alone, you will become a target." "And if that should happen, pick up a stick and wave it at them as a warning." "They usually get the message and leave you alone." Another crew member offered me bus fare. But rather than wait for the bus, I tried to see if I could fly by jumping into the air, but the apparent gravity of this place quickly brought me back down. I had discovered the same thing in other places of the dream world whenever there was too much fear and not enough fellow-feeling in the air. In these places I was earth bound. It followed upon what I naturally thought about. Something to think about and ways to escape when needed.

As we waited at the bus stop, I notice what looked like a small innocent looking light brown goat prancing up and down along the hill mounds in a park across the street from where we stood. But in place of horns, it had two spiraling shoots of hair and a patch hair fluff on the nape of the neck. I asked one the workers I was with, “What kind of animal is that?” He said it was called a "Galey." At that moment my physical body in bed turned to one side, causing me to wake from the dream.

Notes:

(1) Galey or Gali: 'a hill, a mound, a spring, a fountain'. To my recollection, I had never before heard of this word before or seen this type of animal in artforms. It’s curious that the Galey prancing up and down along the hill mounds I saw also means 'a hill; a mound.’

(2) I have never been to Oaxaca, Mexico.

(3) Dream date: 10/23/2022

Symbol associations

A storm narrowly averted: we should always prepare for the worst

The dykes along the hill sides: attempting to avert waters that might take us under

Multicolored rooftops from Oaxaca: appreciation of higher aspects of simple people

Coming to a bus stop to the other side: there is a loss of individuality the further down we go

Unable to fly: entry to those regions can be perilous, even for winged souls

Catching sight of a Galey: its not far from primal ideas of paradise (park = paradise). I often take walks in a park called Montie Beach (=Mountain Beach)

My physical body in bed turned to one side: I was not allowed to see more, at least for now. Over the years, I have learned that body consciousness is different from mental consciousness and has rescued me, more than once, in dire situations. It raises questions about the nature of types of consciousness

Last edited: