Help with dream about cyborg

rotifer

Hello,

May I have some suggestions on what this dream means? It's sticking with me and seems like something important.

In the dream, there was a 'cyborg' woman who was upset because she wasn't able to have children. She went to a laboratory where she was created and asked for the man who invented her to give her a womb. He refused and said doing so would compromise her functioning. She became angry and climbed into a machine that looked like a 'pod' from a sci-fi movie that apparently could perform a procedure to upgrade her, but it just created a cavity in her abdomen and caused her to start convulsing and break apart - it was totally horrific. The inventor pulled her out of the machine before she was destroyed by it. While this was happening, I kept switching perspectives between the inventor, the cyborg, and being a "third" observer with no identity.

I feel like I understand this part of the dream somewhat - the cyborg representing the biological realities of being a woman (which I am), the inventor the "rational mind" who conceives of womanhood that way. I have a tendency to view certain aspects of being a woman as a predictable "machination" of biology - hormones, the menstrual cycle, being "wired" for maternal instincts. But the next part, I have no idea:

Suddenly the inventor and the cyborg were in a crowd of people celebrating at some kind of event - drinking wine, making merry, having a party. The space reminded me of the Parthenon. I was a child watching everyone tower above me, chaotic with laughter. An old woman with black hair and a dark complexion in the crowd took the cyborg by the hand and led her out to speak with her in private. I followed them, but got to sense I wasn't supposed to be there. They sat together on a bench separated from the party by two large pillars, and I hid behind one to eavesdrop. The cyborg was distraught and I could feel her suffering. She told the old woman that she just wanted a child. The old woman consoled her and then said, "If you were to have a child, it would take you on a path farther and farther from God." The cyborg accepted what the old woman said but was devastated, and then I woke up.

The old woman's words, her voice, the cyborg's pain - it all stayed in my memory for hours and hours after I woke up. It is still bugging me days later. It seems like such an odd thing to say. I don't have any children or want children. I'm not religious at all.

Can anyone help me understand this dream? Thank you.

Firstly, what do you think the dream means ?
Secondly, you absolutely don't want kids ?
And you're not "religious", but do you believe in God ?
Other than dr who, I haven't seen cyborgs on any other program.
Obviously I don't know you, so, maybe consider your life path, and where you're going in life.
That relates to what was said about going farther away from God.

rotifer

aussie_musician said:
Firstly, what do you think the dream means ?
Secondly, you absolutely don't want kids ?
And you're not "religious", but do you believe in God ?
Other than dr who, I haven't seen cyborgs on any other program.
Obviously I don't know you, so, maybe consider your life path, and where you're going in life.
That relates to what was said about going farther away from God.

Yesterday, after posting this, the word "Minerva" came up in my mind spontaneously. I realized that is also connected with the Parthenon and Roman look of the second half of the dream (Athena being the patron god which the temple was dedicated, and equated with Minerva). So, there is this "religious" aspect to the dream which might not conform to a standard religious belief but still has that sensibility to it.

Minerva was born of Jupiter's forehead, which is a bit synonymous with an inventor/creator vs a natural birth. She was also a virgin goddess who had no children and instead dedicated herself to her work. I'm apparently making some associations here.

Perhaps if I replaced the word god with divine will, it would make more sense. Like, if I'm here to complete some work that is meaningful, children will never be a part of it... and sometimes, I haven't fully respected the emotional pain I feel over that.

When I was in my early twenties, I assumed I'd be in a position to have children at some point. However, when a close family member who is my age had their first child while we were in our early thirties, I suddenly realized that I'd never have children, that I didn't really want to have a child. I'd conjured a fantasy about this person and I both having children around the same time and our children growing up together like we had grown up together. That fantasy didn't come into full awareness until this person's little girl was born, and I sort of accepted that it was merely a fantasy, that what drove me in life was completely different from the values I grew up with and do cherish on some level.

To date, I viewed these conclusions as choices I've made about my life. But, maybe the reason this dream bothers me so much is how it doesn't feel like a choice, but an imperative - a directive, or fate. Maybe that is why the woman was a cyborg searching for a path to god.

I just thought, too, that not long before having this dream I read a (true) story about a woman who believed she couldn't have children due to a medical condition. She was very accomplished academically and dove into her work because she believed having a family was impossible. In the story, she came to an epiphany and decided to try to have children anyway, and learned she was able to conceive after all. So, maybe that story subconsciously triggered my conflicting feelings about motherhood.

Thanks for the reply. Even just having someone to bounce this off of is providing clarity. I appreciate it!

so, what age are you ?
is it too late for you to bear children ?

hey i got this from the dream moods dictionary .. though that forum still hasn't been fixed, hence this forum ..
Cyborg
To see or dream that you are a cyborg implies that you need to balance your objectivity with your personal feelings.
It may also mean that you are too rigid in your thinking.