What's new

I spent the whole dream searching for something... and found it dead

dreamer

New member
Hello, everyone! I am a female, 28 years old, of Greek descent. I am not religious. I believe in the subconscious and that it absorbs and processes information that the conscious part of us doesn't. I don't believe that all dreams have a meaning, however I think that some do, especially when there is something happening in your life. I would like to share this particular dream with you all that I have been trying to interpret. I will later give context to what is happening in my life at the moment, but before that I would like to see what everyone thinks before the information. I have been going through inner turmoil and will provide details to anyone who asks for it in comments or pm. Before that, please give your interpretation/feelings without the context.

I am no stranger to snake dreams. There was a time in my life when I dreamt about them often. The pattern was always the same; the snake would chase and attack me. I would always wake up the moment the snake attacked me. I got to the conclusion that this was a toxic situation/person/relationship in my life. Those dreams have since stopped.

This time, I have dreamt about snakes again, but in a completely different way.

I am at my family home and the whole family is there. Mother, father, younger brother and I. It seems like I just came back after some time. My brother is now the owner of two snakes which genuinely surprises me. I am very confused by this fact and keep asking him things like,"Why do you have snakes?", "Since when do you like snakes?" I am genuinely confused by this. Needless to say, I am not a fan of snakes.

One of the snakes is pure white and the other is black. He has them in a glass cage in his bedroom. I am so perplexed by this and disturbed that I start researching about the snakes and find out that the white snake is poisonous. This is an all-white snake, which I have learned, is not naturally available in the wild. I tell my brother he needs to get rid of it as it is dangerous but he is initially reluctant and unsure. I insist and show him proof.

Next "scene", we are at a lake. My brother is inside the water and I am outside. The waters are calm and I believe it is quite dark outside. My brother is drowning the white snake in the lake. He is holding it by it's head so tight, the snake's mouth is open and it is being drowned in the water. It feels like he is doing it for my sake. He is looking at me and reassuring me with things like, "See, it's alright", "I'm doing it", "It's done", etc. I am unsure and ask him if he is sure it's dead and he assures me it is.

During this, I don't feel particular relief or any kind of positive emotion. I am frankly quite disturbed by the image, it is a violent and harsh scene. But I also want it done and my brother is doing it. He wasn't sure about it, but he listened to my fear, I conviced him and he took care of it.

Next "scene" we are back home. I don't believe we have concluded that the black snake is also poisonous. In fact, it seems like I didn't find information that it is. The clear danger, the white one, has been eliminated.

We come to find out that the black snake has escaped inside the house. Initially I treat this as if the snake is alive so I suggest we put plastic bags along the walls so that if the snake passes we'll hear it (which I learned randomly on the internet years ago, isn't that crazy?!). However, the next moment, I no longer believe that the snake is alive and so my suggestion turns to "Look for the smell", meaning the smell of a dead creature. Now we are looking for a body. I have gone from "Look for movement, look for signs of life" to "Follow the smell and find the corpse".

We end up finding the snake. It is in my bedroom. It is, in fact, dead. It is inside my bedroom but at the entrance, at the door. It's laying there sort of curled up/tangled. There is no big reaction to the discovery, it's just like "Well, here it is." No grief, no surprise, just "here it is."

The half of the dream feels like an investigation. A search for something. And the investigation ends.

Thank you all. I look forward to reading your ideas.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lex

Lex

Active member
Well is a lot of cases, snakes mean knowlegde, they can also mean betrayal

Snake refers to fear:

For many, the image of a snake can invoke fear. Snakes are unpredictable and can strike at anytime without warning. Thus a snake in your dream may represent something in your life that is unpredictable and out of your control. You are afraid of the unknown.

Snake refers to hidden threats:

Because snakes are sometimes hard to see and are slithering in bushes, they are also symbolic of a hidden threat and/or a betrayal. They lie in wait waiting for the perfect opportunity to make a move. If the snake bites you, then the dream is trying to alert you to something in your waking life that you are not aware of or that has not yet surfaced. To see a baby snake in your dream means that you are underestimating the threat. If you kill the snake or if the snake is dead, then it means that this threat has passed or that you have overcome it.

Snake refers to subconscious:

As creatures that slither along the ground, a snake may represent your subconscious. Sometimes the snake can be found swimming in the water which is also reflective of emotions that you are suppressing. If you dream of a snake inside a box, then it implies that you are refusing to acknowledge some part of your subconscious. The dream snake may be alerting you or carrying some sort of hidden message.

Snake refers to sexual temptation:

According to the Freudian school of thought, the snake is viewed as a phallic symbol and thus signifies temptation, repressed thoughts, raw sexual energy, or forbidden sexuality. In particular, to see a snake on your bed suggests that you are feeling sexually overpowered or sexually threatened. You may be inexperienced, nervous or just unable to keep up. If you are afraid of the snake, then it signifies your fears of sex, intimacy or commitment. To dream that you are eating a live snake indicates that you are looking for intimacy or sexual fulfillment. Your life is lacking sensuality and passion.

Snake refers to a callous person:

As a metaphor, the snake in your dream can be symbolic of a person around you who is callous, evil and ruthless. In this scenario, the snake will try to strike at you, bite you or even eat you alive. Sometimes the snake may even change into a human form. Your dream is telling you not to trust her or him. If you are afraid of making your true feelings toward someone known, then you will likely dream of snakes.

Snake refers to transformation:

With the ability to shed their skins, snakes represent transformation. If your dream left you with a positive feeling, then the snake dream represents positive change, self-renewal, growth, knowledge and wisdom. What new changes are occurring in your waking life or what are you looking to change? In particular, dreaming of a red snake highlights the positive characteristics of the snake, as well as your fiery passion. If you are fighting with the snake, then it means that you are fighting against change. You like things the way they are, even though you are not being challenged or fulfilled.

Snake refers to healing:

In some cultures, the snake is viewed as a healing symbol. After all, poisonous snakes hold the antidote for their own venom. And the symbol for the medical profession is a caduceus which features two snakes. Thus snakes indicate recovery or protection from some illness.

Snake refers to creativity:

Another positive interpretation of the snake points to your creativity and potential.

Conclusion:

The symbolism of snakes can be either positive or negative, depending on your feelings toward the snake. Sometimes it is difficult to get past the initial fear your feel toward the snake so you can gain a more meaningful analysis of your dream.

So this whole dream could express some really strong desires aroubd fearing your siblings duality and how you handle that persons poisonious tendencies, and how they react to you.
It talks about growth curiousity and understanding what needs direction and control in the dynamics and how you feel you are considered.

It also says you dont really view yourself or your fears as part of the issues and that you feel by removing the "snake" fixes the issue, rather then you addressing or handling it yourself.
But this is just my quick reading
 

Polyethelene

New member
killing something and then finding a close counterpart or 'mirror' of it dead in your own dwelling is... well its hard to say what exactly its reflecting but its not good. wonderfully written account though.
notably, the dream never executes on the possibility of the snakes being dangerous, and the conflict instead stems from your own instinctual reactions to their surface level properties- they are contained safely in glass and your brother seems to know how to handle them, but you demand the death of one and thus narratively imply the death of its counterpart
theres some pretty clear ying-yang symbolism with the snakes coloration, i dont think we really even need to unpack that. it unpacks itself honestly
 

Polyethelene

New member
if its not clear what im saying in the first line there- to find a bedroom which is contextually yours within a dream rather directly symbolically ties to the space you are in physically as you sleep, and represents it. to find a corpse of any kind there may as well be finding ones own corpse, only a less blunt, abstracted form of such a symbol or narrative. this is not to say that this is a death omen, it more feels like a condemnation of some sort.
 
Top