participation in an expedition and experience of conflict part 4

[continued] the weapon Dr Isiah selected for me was a thin streamlined gun with very long thin muzzle "this is exactly suited to you.it is small,compact and easy to use. you can adjust the beam on it. it has 7 levels of intensity" ME:which level do you recommend? DI: the third level if the fight gets out of control.otherwise the first should be adequate. i have read of the reactions of soldiers who told they are about to be sent in to combat describe a feeling like a pit in the stomach. that was what i now felt. but not for long .it was almost a relief when F- the other scout who gone with C- came galloping in with a report F-: we have sighted a lot of movement in the woods ahead. they seem to be moving toward where we are. a lot of deer have been running through the forest as though something is ahead of them,and a lot of birds have been flying up as though somebody flushed them out DI: thank you F- {turning now toward the camp and announcing in his booming voice} the condition is DIAMOND STATION 9. (this meant the same thing as FULL ALERT or CONDITION RED.) everyone be ready for action at a moments notice. immediately a group began to spread out and deploy in the woods. one group covered the approach to the camp. they knelt or stood in a half circle. ready to take any attackers from both sides. soon we heard the sound of horses hooves in great number heading in our direction. Dr Isiah gave the signal to be ready. soon we began to see movement through the trees. then more men. then a group of horsemen off to the right. soon a column of armed men emerged from the woods. i could feel the tension in the back of my neck. then one of our people who somehow had not taken cover when the rest of us had stood perfectly visible in the center of the clearing where we were. someone shouted "there's one of them. capture him" the i saw a narrow red-orange beam just above slice an overhanging tree branch in two. it feel a few feet in front of him. by this time they had almost reached the edge of the clearing which was the unofficial boundary for our camp. one of them was pointing his weapon directly at our man. he said "throw up your arms and surrender" he hardly finished saying that than Dr Isiah gave the signal to open fire. then WHOOSH BOOM RAT A TAT TAT the whole place exploded in a burst of color and light as everybody commenced firing at once. so coordinated was the fire that that those of the enemy closest to us were hit by as many as 5 beams at once. they were knocked down instantly. their comrades in the woods returned fire immediately. so our own side turned and directed fire at them. it was truly a dazzling sight,the many multi-colored beams and rays going back and forth. those of our own side were distinguishable from the enemy's by their intenser,deeper hue. those of the enemy had a more metallic tinge such as iron or copper. ours had either a gemstone or mineral base. theirs had almost without exception a metal base. now these beams could be adjusted in width and length depending on the terrain and the distance of the target. as you may imagine these were at maximum thickness and so long they seemed like small searchlight beams. i can recall one unforgettable incident. 2 rays one cherry red and the other one blue-violet crossed paths with 3 beams of copper silver,and lithium. the result was simply indescribable. on the practical side it lit up the whole area so that had perfect knowledge of where everybody else was. if it had been severe before it now became intense beyond description. only a veteran of combat could have any idea of what it was like. i ran into Dr Isiah who said "quite a lively morning eh?" i answered it was awesome but i hoped never to see another such morning.he chuckled DI; keep your weapon ready. you are going to have to use it soon

ME:i sincerely hope not DI: alas for life's blighted hopes they are forming in the clearing to attack ME: how soon do you think before it comes? DI: about 10 minutes. i switched my weapon to maximum strength, not wanting to take any chances with an enemy who i knew meant business and i did not have long to wait [continued]