Upsetting dream about killing a dog. Is there something wrong with me?

TacoPanda7

So, first of all if you don't like gore, I would suggest looking elsewhere. The only reason I see reason to include the bloody details is because I think it's relevant to the meaning.

I had this awful dream last night that I was being chased by a man and his dog. I lost the man, but the dog was hot in my trail and I had to defend myself or else the dog would kill me. So managed to grab it when it caught up, but for whatever reason I decided to rip off it's lower jaw, and then like some horrific saw, use it to decapitate the poor thing.

The worst part is that the dog didn't die right away. Defying anatomy, the dog was whining and licking me as I held its head in my arms. I felt horrible in my dream, and I just began sobbing as the life slowly faded from this poor creature that was only trying to please it's master.

I woke up crying and the graphic imagery has stuck with me since. Does anyone have any idea what a dream like this could mean? Is there something wrong with me?

what breed of dog was it?
do you know the man and the dog?

From Dream Moods:
Dog
To see a dog in your dream symbolizes intuition, loyalty, generosity, protection, and fidelity.
The dream suggests that your strong values and good intentions will enable you to go forward in the world and bring you success.
The dream dog may also represent someone in your life who exhibits these qualities.
Alternatively, to see a dog in your dream indicates a skill that you may have ignored or forgotten.
If the dog is vicious and/or growling, then it indicates some inner conflict within yourself.
It may also indicate betrayal and untrustworthiness.
If the dog is dead or dying, then it means a loss of a good friend or a deterioration of your instincts.
To dream that a dog bites you on the leg suggests that you have lost your ability to balance aspects of your life.
You may be hesitant in approaching a new situation or have no desire to move forward with your goals.
Alternatively, it symbolizes disloyalty.
To see a happily barking dog in your dream symbolizes pleasures and social activity.
You are being accepted into some circle.
If the dog is barking ferociously, then it represents your habit of making demands on people and controlling situations around you.
Are you "barking" too many orders?
Alternatively, it could also indicate unfriendly companions.
To see a dog chasing its tail or running around in circles in your dream implies that you are not handling a situation in an effective way.
You are spending too much time on fruitless labor.
To dream that you are buying a dog indicates your tendency to buy your friends or buy compliments and favors.
Alternatively, it suggest a need for you to find companionship.
If you are being guided by a dog, then it suggests that you are having difficulties in navigating out of a situation or problem.
To dream that you give or send your dog away indicates that the decisions and choices you are making now may be misinterpreted as disloyalty.
You have to do what is right for you and not worry about what others think of the decision.
Alternatively, it signifies rejection of friendship.
To dream that you are dressing up your dog signifies your attempts to cover up your own character flaws and habits.
To see a black colored dog in your dream symbolizes the shadow aspect of a friend.
The dark side of someone close to you is being revealed and you are able to see through to their true intentions.
Dreaming that you step on a dog implies that you are taking certain friendships or relationships for granted.
To dream that a dog is eating a snake implies that a close friend is trying to prevent you from making a bad decision.
Dreaming that dogs are being slaughtered or disemboweled represent a bitter ending to a friendship.
It indicates betrayal and/or misplaced trust.
To see a dog with two heads in your dream means that you are hyper vigilant about your surroundings.
On the other hand, the dream may also mean you need to be more aware of what is around you.
Also consider the notions associated with the word dog, such as loyalty ("man's best friend") and to be "treated like a dog".

TacoPanda7

It was a mutt as far as I could tell, nothing really specific about it other than the fact that it was tan. I'd say it was more akin to a coyote now that I'm thinking back on it. I did not know the man.

Karlla

What I notice first is the aspect of "chase".
Is there something going on in your life that scares the **** outta you? Since dreams tend to exaggerate, you may simply feel (a little) anxious or worried about something. I'm getting vibes of "fearing the consequences", maybe?