What is a dream and where do they come from?

Seven41

I know what I believe a dream is and will share that with anyone who can offer me a different perspective. I also would like to explore the source of dreams since I have a very definite opinion of that as well..

Example: Isaac Asimov said that dreams are nothing more than sweeping out the trash from the day's activities. I heartily disagree with such a simple answer to this complex part of a human's mind, but I do agree with his saying dreams come from the subconscious mind. However I must disagree with the term "subconscious mind" as I limit my source to the subconscious. Mind is conscious and subconscious is not mind. This is my opinion and it may be shared by some, but I would like to hear other perspectives.

Karlla

I'd liken dreams to going through all the data on your computer in rapid speed and sorting them into their respective files, and some of it may be deleted. But like computer files are never really deleted but merely corrupted to the point where a superficial search cannot find them any more, some people say that our memories, too, are never swept out but rather swept under a rug in some dark corner and further covered up with a trinkets to divert the mind away from it.
Now, humans are not computers, and beside data in the form of sensory information we have emotions to deal with. Some are agreeable and desired, others are unwanted. The stronger the emotion the more likely it will make an appearance in our dreams. Suppressed or masked emotions will also make it into our dreams. The images we see in our dreams are partially impressions left from the day, and partially associations (e.g. societal concepts, relationships etc.) and older memories embedded in our minds.

During our waking life, the subconscious tends to be left unheard because it is drowned out by the noise of our conscious mind. At night, when the conscious is put to rest, the subconscious takes over.

That's my humble opinion. I agree that dreams are more than just taking out the trash. I understand that they are important for our mental and physical well-being.
I have no opinion, however, on the nomenclature of subconscious mind vs. subconscious. I use both terms interchangeably. But I may believe that mind is more than just the conscious.

Seven41

I'd liken dreams to going through all the data on your computer in rapid speed and sorting them into their respective files, and some of it may be deleted. But like computer files are never really deleted but merely corrupted to the point where a superficial search cannot find them any more, some people say that our memories, too, are never swept out but rather swept under a rug in some dark corner and further covered up with a trinkets to divert the mind away from it.
Now, humans are not computers, and beside data in the form of sensory information we have emotions to deal with. Some are agreeable and desired, others are unwanted. The stronger the emotion the more likely it will make an appearance in our dreams. Suppressed or masked emotions will also make it into our dreams. The images we see in our dreams are partially impressions left from the day, and partially associations (e.g. societal concepts, relationships etc.) and older memories embedded in our minds.

During our waking life, the subconscious tends to be left unheard because it is drowned out by the noise of our conscious mind. At night, when the conscious is put to rest, the subconscious takes over.

That's my humble opinion. I agree that dreams are more than just taking out the trash. I understand that they are important for our mental and physical well-being.
I have no opinion, however, on the nomenclature of subconscious mind vs. subconscious. I use both terms interchangeably. But I may believe that mind is more than just the conscious.
Your response is greatly appreciated. It gives me some things to think about. I first got interested in dreams after reading Dr. Joseph Murphy's THE POWER OF YOUR SUBCONSCIOUS MIND. In it he says that the subconscious is always awake and always in touch with God. In the intervening 38 years, I have pretty much agreed with him except for the being in touch with God. I no longer hold the Christian concept of a God with human emotions and have to admit that I pretty much agree with Albert Einstein's answer to the question of "IS THERE A GOD?" Yes I believe in the concept of a higher intelligence that put all of this together, but I cannot get my mind around a number of things used to describe it. Omniscience, omnipresent, omnipotent, infinite, etc. I am much closer to being a pantheist as opposed to a monotheist.

Because of this I am spending a great deal of time trying to answer some basic questions. Who am I? Why am I here? Is there a purpose to my existence? These and many other questions go unanswered because I haven't found a human source that can answer them.

Having given you a little insight into whom you have responded, I will now tell you about my concept of dreams. Dreams come from the subconscious which is always awake and has perfect memory. I had one dream in which I had to change my mind about reincarnation. In that dream I was standing on the deck of a wooden sailing ship. The water and sky were a beautiful blue and there were white puffy clouds in the sky. I looked at my arm which was shackled to a chain with the other end of the chain linked to a ring on the deck. My arm was black. I have no doubt that I was the one in the dreams and I am, at present, an 83 year old white male. Personally I believe it was a memory from a past life, but I have no proof so I don't really know if that's true.

Dreams are about the dreamer in almost all cases and are for the dreamer to provide information he/she is seeking, solving a problem in their life, or giving them a warning about something they need to know. This is my opinion and I freely admit that everything I believe may be wrong.

UFOhunter

Dreams are you, and your travel and journey with God. They are just another means of communication with self, the cosmos, the divine, and energy itself. Probably few know for certain how it happens, but if it is God's hand helping, or God's helping hand, then I am trusting God and what I learn in the process. Heavenly dreams to you!!☕💤

Seven41

I always encourage people who have your faith to embrace their faith with all the strength of their being. Thanks for the response and the wish for heavenly dreams.