What is a dream?

Seven41

I know what I believe about dreams, but am very curious as to what others might consider dreams to be. Isaac Asimov said that dreams were just the sweeping out of trash from the day's activities. I disagree but am aware that many people can offer different perspectives on the subject. I will tell you this: I believe dreams are important and should be understood and acted upon if action is required.

One of the most important dreams I had in the first year I started remembering dreams was just words. Those words were: KNOWLEDGE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING WE ACQUIRE IN LIFE AND KNOWLEDGE OF SELF IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS. I had that dream when I was 43. I am now 83 and have written a book on the subject because I was told in a series of dreams that I had a book to write. I was shown the cover of the book. My sister had a dream in which she was instructed to tell me that the book would come from my dream journals. All of those dreams occurred in 1984. During the next 32 I asked many time when I should start the book and I was always told there was plenty of time. In 2016 I had a dream in which I was told to write a procedure for remembering and recording dreams. The book was published in 2022. My definition of dreams and their source are included in the book.

Since the people on this forum are interested in dreams and are looking for understanding, I got curious as to just exactly what they think a dream is.

Seven41

I looked it up but I'm not sure what point you are making. I got into dream therapy when I was 44 and I am now nearly double that age. I no longer have dreams that I remember. By definition, I am now an old man but the dreaming started a long time ago. I read a book on the power of the subconscious and it said that the subconscious is always awake and always in touch with God. At that time I was extremely disillusioned with organized religion and wasn't too impressed with what that book said since the author was a Doctor of Divinity and used a lot of quotes from the Holy Bible to make his points. However I decided to give it a try by remembering my dreams. Over the next 30 plus years I recorded my dreams and learned to interpret them. I learned a lot about myself.

One dream I had told me to write down everything I didn't like. I wrote down everything I didn't like about myself, my wife, my children, my father and my mother in that order. When I got to Mom, I wrote down three things I didn't like but there was a fourth thing that I didn't know what it was. I went back to sleep and when I woke later, I had 1944 firmly fixed in my mind. Then next time I saw my mother, I asked what had happened in 1944 that really upset me. She said, "Your brother was born." I had been the baby of the family for nearly five years and then my brother was born with a heart murmur and then he got polio. He took all my mother's time and my grandmother's time. I was on my own. Mom told me I regressed and started wetting the bed, dirtying my pants, and even hurting myself to get attention. The doctor told her she had waited too long to have another child but that I would outgrow it. Instead of outgrowing it, I turned it inward and it eventually expressed itself as high blood pressure. Once I dealt with it, I no longer had high blood pressure.

All of that being said, I return to the original question. What is your point?

James

Have you read the KJV, Joel 2 verse 28?

Joel (2:28): And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions

Don't know if Joel had it right. Generally, the prophets were older men when they had their visions.

I looked it up but I'm not sure what point you are making. I got into dream therapy when I was 44 and I am now nearly double that age. I no longer have dreams that I remember. By definition, I am now an old man but the dreaming started a long time ago. I read a book on the power of the subconscious and it said that the subconscious is always awake and always in touch with God. At that time I was extremely disillusioned with organized religion and wasn't too impressed with what that book said since the author was a Doctor of Divinity and used a lot of quotes from the Holy Bible to make his points. However I decided to give it a try by remembering my dreams. Over the next 30 plus years I recorded my dreams and learned to interpret them. I learned a lot about myself.

One dream I had told me to write down everything I didn't like. I wrote down everything I didn't like about myself, my wife, my children, my father and my mother in that order. When I got to Mom, I wrote down three things I didn't like but there was a fourth thing that I didn't know what it was. I went back to sleep and when I woke later, I had 1944 firmly fixed in my mind. Then next time I saw my mother, I asked what had happened in 1944 that really upset me. She said, "Your brother was born." I had been the baby of the family for nearly five years and then my brother was born with a heart murmur and then he got polio. He took all my mother's time and my grandmother's time. I was on my own. Mom told me I regressed and started wetting the bed, dirtying my pants, and even hurting myself to get attention. The doctor told her she had waited too long to have another child but that I would outgrow it. Instead of outgrowing it, I turned it inward and it eventually expressed itself as high blood pressure. Once I dealt with it, I no longer had high blood pressure.

All of that being said, I return to the original question. What is your point?
What is my point?
My point is that the answer to your question, "what is a dream" is in the word of God.
God gives us dreams and visions.
Without Him, we are all nothing.
All other explanations are man's ideas.
It's your choice to respond to Him ... or respond to other people.

Seven41

Apparently you are a Christian and I heartily urge you to embrace your faith with the strength of your being. To me a dream is a message from the subconscious. The subconscious gives you the information you require because you have programmed it to do so with your emotional responses to the experiences of your lifetime. If your life has been one of struggle and you have become bitter, the subconscious will give you dreams that support your emotional programming. If your life has been one of love and joy and you have become a kind and gentle person, the subconscious will give you dreams that support your emotional programming.

I do not practice any organized religion because I had a dream in which I was told to "work with the religion of my choice." After studying the major religions in the world, I decided not to work with any of them and to form my own church. There is only one member and there are no sacraments or rituals that I have to practice. There is no hell so I don't have to worry about sinning against my perception of the ISNESS of all that exists. There are no holy places or churches. I pray every night as I am going to sleep and if I have anything to ask in my prayers, the answer usually will come in a dream. In my present situation I do not ask for material things because I have no use for those things. I have been blessed all my life and have never had to face a tragedy of any kind. IT (my name for the ISNESS) loves me. What more could I ask for?

Namaste'

Seven41

Thank you. I was not trying to be argumentative or disrespectful. I was simply stating my perception. One of the things I always try to remember is that everything I believe may be wrong.