Dream Time

When it's the time of the day for dreams we notice that time flows differently in a dream! For example it's possible to say we are travelling incrementally faster through time during slow wave-sleep and returning to a normal rate of time during REM sleep. REM sleep resembles the neuronal patterns during the waking day and yet we're often not conscious during REM sleep due to amnesia. A marginal increase in the rate of time during sleep is the most basic version of my time travel theories! If knowledge is relative as Popper would say then it's possible for all of our prior knowledge to be completely wrong relative to the knowledge a future version of ourselves would have! As such it might be easier than expected for dreams to alter our sense of self when all of our knowledge is subjective and interconnected. In last night's dream I mowed the lawn with a sharp circular and solid disc rather than with my customary straight blade lawn mower. That's typical of a thoughtless mind interested in random things!

Last edited:
One reason we might downplay the function of nightmares is that we forget how violent ancient history used to be. All of our evil desires have been tamed through thousands of years of religion. So the way most people aren't evil is simply because our brief era in history just so happens to be moral in a physical world that's fundamentally amoral. Who knows if the world will go through alternate periods of majority good or mostly evil in future millenia. After all being good was never about being hedonistic where goodness is a more of a meditative state of mind. So an evil incentive might always be more intoxicating than a good incentive if we viewed the world as a physical system. As such our body and mind could be just as capable of being evil but we don't pursue it due to cultural influences. Yet superficial social influences cannot be relied on from the standpoint of sleep because the brain needs deeper emotions to guide our behaviour. The irony is that we don't take evolutionary amorality seriously enough when science dismisses the ethical conundrums of nightmares as being silly. Another reason good people might underestimate the temptation of evil is that we already know it's mostly perverted towards the victim. Yet evil people can obviously have relationships with other evil people where they're not violent towards each other in any way. So technically they could even be more loving than good people in withstanding an evil partner. Although it's relative in how they could still be aggressive to the general public. It's an unfair comparison when they already got the evil out of their system on innocent people beforehand. There's an exception to every single moral rule when you're deserted on an island. It's always possible that nightmares are actually pre-empting and deterring violent addictions even if we're not currently violent. Most horror movies are asexual yet they're distinct from crime movies in how they display much more gratuitous violence. Yet the only reason we perceive them as asexual is because we're not actually violent. That is to say a violent criminal might have no limit at all to what is deemed attractive when any form of violence is inherently dominating.

"The one thing different about Todd's shop, however, is that no one who walks in for a trim is ever seen again."
Sweeney Todd (7/8) Movie CLIP - By the Sea

Last edited:
If we viewed sleep as if it were a "mini-death" and resurrection then sleeping with a partner will be complicated. Basically you could view the other as dead as they slept but then he or she could do the same if you fell to sleep first! Or perhaps you could make an arrangement where the person who fell asleep first has to wake up earlier than the other to enjoy them!

When it's the time of the day for dreams we notice that time flows differently in a dream! For example it's possible to say we are travelling incrementally faster through time during slow wave-sleep and returning to a normal rate of time during REM sleep. REM sleep resembles the neuronal patterns during the waking day and yet we're often not conscious during REM sleep due to amnesia. A marginal increase in the rate of time during sleep is the most basic version of my time travel theories! If knowledge is relative as Popper would say then it's possible for all of our prior knowledge to be completely wrong relative to the knowledge a future version of ourselves would have! As such it might be easier than expected for dreams to alter our sense of self when all of our knowledge is subjective and interconnected. In last night's dream I mowed the lawn with a sharp circular and solid disc rather than with my customary straight blade lawn mower. That's typical of a thoughtless mind interested in radom things!
My interpretation is that when you dream you are in a different dimension where time passes at a different rate.

Although you may have a R.E.M. period of 15 minutes during which you are presumably dreaming, if you wrote your dream down in screenplay format, one page for one minute, you would find that even your long dreams are no more than three pages or three minutes long.

Shortly after falling asleep I heard a loud high-pitch sound and saw a swarm of colours. Then I'd several false awakenings where I saw a representation of my arm flicker on the sheets of an imaginary bed. During each repetition of the dream I moved my vision forward into the blankets to get into the next dream. My breathing became chaotic and I'd to focus on it from very deep behind my nose relative to the physical skull. It was as if the tactile sensation of my nose was somehow located beyond the entire depth of my dreaming visual perception. Perhaps when we're dreaming the visual scenes can truly be said to be located in the very back of the brain where our visual cortex is always located. Eventually I landed by a pool and saw vague outlines of Mediterranean women looking away from me in the seating area. I levitated forward to check if I could see their faces. I failed to get a look and perhaps the experience was pre-empting any future demise in an afterlife! When I awoke from the lucid dream I noticed a more meditative sensation in my breathing.

02862367-73C7-4AEC-98A5-FBBED94790A9.jpeg
Please forgive my very basic computer painting of my dream. The preponderance of yellow shades during the brief moments of lucidity suggested a deeply relaxing vibe with themes of old age and mortality. The temporal rhythm of yellow is slower than other colours and is closely related to red end of the visible light spectrum. My arm seemed further in front of me than usual even though I couldn't see the rear of my head and body. Somehow my thoughts allowed me to escape the room as if I gravitated out the window and into a hallway garden with a pool.

Last edited:
During sex the mind moves from sadness and stress to eventual happiness. So rewinding the sensation can create a working backwards mechanism for investigating the sources of stress. Likewise sleep can be relaxing from an intial state of boredom even if it's not as romantic!

I'd a non-lucid dream in which I was taking a driving lesson with a relative where I lost control and drove down a tarmacadamed stairs in a footpath. Perhaps the dream was a reminder that the adrenaline of faster speeds is irrelevent compared to the theoretical limit if we were to allow literal flying down a steep road.

I'd a lucid dream very soon after I fell asleep in which I heard a man scream and punch a squealing woman. I tried to resist the dream by escaping as fast as I could to wake up. The hysterical high-pitch of the man's voice was a paradoxical disproof that misogynistic violence has to be macho. It was mostly audible rather than visual. My fear response was activated. Dreams can be different to the real world where flight can sometimes be better than fight if your sensations are at risk of being overwhelmed. I failed to beat the fictional attacker but at least I didn't engage in what he was doing. To some extent sexually violent themes in dreams can be a truly indirect form of natural retribution for explicit daytime thoughts. Yet it forces evil people to actually physically empathise with the victim if only to predict the victim's behaviour rather than the victim's grief. The pain response is amoral and so even evil people need a self-consistent advantage of experiencing pain and fear in terms of mental focus. Thus lucid dreaming is a risky way for good people to rapidly increase mental energy against intoxicated evil people. Yet a lucid dream can also stop the violent impulses in irrelevant situations depending on how the dream is interpreted.

Last edited:
I'd so many random non-lucid dreams within a single night. In one dream I rang my former sports teacher and asked him if there was another morning course I could glimpse without fully completing. The conversation made no sense and I eventually had to hang up when I heard him mumbling away to his friends. In retrospect it was almost like I made a prank call! Another sequence had me walking into a shopping centre in the evening where the security garage doors closed behind me. I'd to look for the operator and ask to be let leave. In one stage of sleep I was gluing something only to return a while later and mistake it as a sweet to eat. I spent some time trying to pick it out of my mouth before it hardened! Near the end of my sleep I put down my tennis racket at the gate and entered the club house to see what time my tournament match would be at. The female secretaries told me another 20 minutes and whatever happened I threw water at them like it were a wet t-shirt competition! However I soon fretted that someone would steal my racket and had to rush outside again. Such dreams can force you to be honest in assessing how weird your waking thoughts can be. When you don't take yourself 100% seriously as an adult then the temptation can always be not to take yourself seriously at all.

I'd so many random non-lucid dreams within a single night. In one dream I rang my former sports teacher and asked him if there was another morning course I could glimpse without fully completing. The conversation made no sense and I eventually had to hang up when I heard him mumbling away to his friends. In retrospect it was almost like I made a prank call! Another sequence had me walking into a shopping centre in the evening where the security garage doors closed behind me. I'd to look for the operator and ask to be let leave. In one stage of sleep I was gluing something only to return a while later and mistake it as a sweet to eat. I spent some time trying to pick it out of my mouth before it hardened! Near the end of my sleep I put down my tennis racket at the gate and entered the club house to see what time my tournament match would be at. The female secretaries told me another 20 minutes and whatever happened I threw water at them like it were a wet t-shirt competition! However I soon fretted that someone would steal my racket and had to rush outside again. Such dreams can force you to be honest in assessing how weird your waking thoughts can be. When you don't take yourself 100% seriously as an adult then the temptation can always be not to take yourself seriously at all.
Regarding "I was gluing something only to return a while later and mistake it as a sweet to eat. I spent some time trying to pick it out of my mouth before it hardened! Near the end of my sleep "

That may suggest you are fixated or obsessed (biting) on something that you thought would be rewarding (a sweet) but is only a trap that holds you down (hardened).

In this dream I was continuously being kidnapped and rescued as if I were dealing with video game characters. It was like the villains always arrived in pairs before being shot by one or two others on my team. Then my rescuer would be ambushed again where the sequence would repeat. At the time it felt very impersonal and I recall that one rescuer on my team was the celebrity Joe Rogan while another was a former tennis friend I had as a teenager. Perhaps the unconscious mind finds it easier to reuse characters from our long-term memory rather than to design new faces. Thus their representations in the dream might have been irrelevant to their real life selves. Maybe it was just a matter of time-effective visualision as creating new faces would be inefficient in high-definition. Anyway when I woke up the sensation I felt was really pure ambition. I was inspired by how lucky my dream character was to feel like a teenager again where the world was my oyster. Ironically I didn't focus on resilience or masculinity immediately after awakening seeing as the dream was almost screened in the second-person.

Last edited:

Love2Dream

When it's the time of the day for dreams we notice that time flows differently in a dream! For example it's possible to say we are travelling incrementally faster through time during slow wave-sleep and returning to a normal rate of time during REM sleep. REM sleep resembles the neuronal patterns during the waking day and yet we're often not conscious during REM sleep due to amnesia. A marginal increase in the rate of time during sleep is the most basic version of my time travel theories! If knowledge is relative as Popper would say then it's possible for all of our prior knowledge to be completely wrong relative to the knowledge a future version of ourselves would have! As such it might be easier than expected for dreams to alter our sense of self when all of our knowledge is subjective and interconnected. In last night's dream I mowed the lawn with a sharp circular and solid disc rather than with my customary straight blade lawn mower. That's typical of a thoughtless mind interested in radom things!
My thoughts are you are thinking about changing the blade you use to shaving the hair on your face (beard or mustache). Or maybe thinking about cutting/trimming your beard or mustache

Love2Dream

Shortly after falling asleep I heard a loud high-pitch sound and saw a swarm of colours. Then I'd several false awakenings where I saw a representation of my arm flicker on the sheets of an imaginary bed. During each repetition of the dream I moved my vision forward into the blankets to get into the next dream. My breathing became chaotic and I'd to focus on it from very deep behind my nose relative to the physical skull. It was as if the tactile sensation of my nose was somehow located beyond the entire depth of my dreaming visual perception. Perhaps when we're dreaming the visual scenes can truly be said to be located in the very back of the brain where our visual cortex is always located. Eventually I landed by a pool and saw vague outlines of Mediterranean women looking away from me in the seating area. I levitated forward to check if I could see their faces. I failed to get a look and perhaps the experience was pre-empting any future demise in an afterlife! When I awoke from the lucid dream I noticed a more meditative sensation in my breathing.

View attachment 865
Please forgive my very basic computer painting of my dream. The preponderance of yellow shades during the brief moments of lucidity suggested a deeply relaxing vibe with themes of old age and mortality. The temporal rhythm of yellow is slower than other colours and is closely related to red end of the visible light spectrum. My arm seemed further in front of me than usual even though I couldn't see the rear of my head and body. Somehow my thoughts allowed me to escape the room as if I gravitated out the window and into a hallway garden with a pool.
Maybe you were able to escape reality for a moment and relax. If you are hearing high pitched sounds and seeing waves of color, and your arm is flickering that thought provokes chaos in one’s mind, almost like being slightly tortured.

Moving towards another dream shows that you were not happy/satisfied with the current dream.

Landing by a pool sounds like a serene place. The women are looking away from you could indicate that you don’t have a strong desire to tap into your feminine side or collective unconscious side of masculinity, which is the anima.

It’s possible that feminine emotions cause you a bit of chaos. Therefore, you remove your thoughts intentionally back to masculine thinking, because it’s more comfortable and serene to you.

“Blessed are those who have fallen asleep in the hope of the resurrection.” Catholic mass

Perhaps religious worship mimics the neurology of lucid dreaming such that devout people don't lucid dream during their earthly lives. I'm always surprised by how rare lucid dreaming is in society despite the sheer number of religiously spiritual people. I'm hardly the most spiritual person and yet I seem to be bombarded by weekly lucid dreams. Who knows if it's caused by my rebellious and blasphemous nature! Maybe atheists aren't motivated to lucid dream either when their belief in the oblivion of death forces them to be more dreamy and hedonistic in their waking life rather than in their nightly sleep(!):

Katy Perry - California Gurls

Last edited:
Sometimes unreligious poor people also enjoy being frugal as a sign of virtuous solidarity even though they don't have much choice but to be poor. Being richer can often be a daydream in order to inspire a greater work ethic. Yet a nightly dream of greater spending can remind you of alternative ways to live life. Materialism often conflicts with spirituality though both can be incentives. In last night's dream my parents had bought a new house on the rural outskirts of town. I was amazed by the sight of partial forests and low mountains in the background. The trouble with spirituality is that it might become repetitive and lonesome unless you group together with others. Although it often takes a strict religion to incentivise a large number of people to gather where there are too many in the relaxed spiritual-but-not-religious category.

Just imagine if reciting prayers were just like learning off a school textbook. So repeating informal mantras of who we want to be is kind of like a prayer to self. A dream character could pretty much rote learn your identity through repetition. A mental illness of the subconscious mind is likely indicative of a vulnerability in the unconscious mind. So a mental disorder like echolalia where lines are repeated might reflect how easy it is for a dream to multiply statements and encrypt them.

Late last night I was going for a walk and thought about the economic value of my philosophical thought experiments and came to no answer. Afterwards I mused about the relationship between education and emotional skills. I reasoned that education might even be harmful for emotional self-awareness seeing as academic subjects are too indirect for personal growth. An academic subject is ideally just the starting point of someone's self-awareness. Studying a subject like science to increase its scope is really a sacrifice seeing as anyone could look at your end results very quickly without having to repeat the experiments. For example people might have had to study basic topics much harder in history before it becomes more automated in future generations through a rhythmic vocabulary. After this line of thought I repeated my initial inquiry into the value of my philosophical research. Then I made spontaneous analogies into how my philosophical investigations have been too limited to enhance my own sense of self but critical for further study into more transcendent topics like religion. In other words I tried so hard to understand the worldview of pantheism that I'd to ignore so much theistic philosophy. Yet it's likely that my personal baseline is actually pluralistic theism as that was my childhood worldview. I'd to sacrifice it for years as I'd to focus my perception solely on pantheism until I understood the limits of pantheism as if by backwards reasoning. Hence my internal conversations during the walk digressed severely but often came around back in a circle to my initial questions as if my subconscious kept track of my conscious tangents. I was focusing on the most basic elements of my knowledge and forming associations in an almost dissociated way.

Last edited:
Philosophy often works on the basis that people ought to be rational rather than emotional. Yet it might be the case that uneducated people are more emotionally self-reliant than university students. We forget that the human body works very well even without our input and the same could be said for the brain and the raw emotions of the subconscious. For example people living in the third world tend to be more spiritually enlightened despite the lack of educational resources in such countries. Knowledge would function more to limit over-confidence so to speak. Socrates for instance claimed that the more we learn about a subject the more we're aware of how ignorant we are on the remainder of the subject. In an absolute sense knowledge could be equivalent to a humble self-awareness of ignorance that forces us to prioritise the basics. Hence we shouldn't be too skeptical of the power of unconscious learning during sleep even if it's not as hard as school work. In fact we shouldn't have books in schools at all and only discussions on counter-culture songs(!):

Crystal Waters - Gypsy Woman

Last edited:
Lucid dreaming might sound as if it were a new-age hippy phenomenon. Yet a crack-cocaine dealer can make a fortune and inflict violence for debts. These avenues are often unavailable for prospective lucid dream teachers! If you don't pay for my dream stories I'm afraid you'll pay be paying with a pound of flesh!

I'd a vague dream in which I was playing soccer with a male team against a female team. I'd to tackle a few women for the ball. Perhaps I could apply the competitive message of the dream to tennis! A game of mixed singles would increase the ferociousness of your serves if you refused to go easy on her!